Water Damage Prevention Tips
We all know what water damage to homes and businesses look like after a flood or a heavy rain. Oftentimes, events such as these are unexpected, and if we aren’t prepared for what may happen during a stormy season, we can suffer more water damage than we need to.
- DO REGULAR INSPECTIONS. Take a good look around your home or place of business; are you prepared for wet weather? Do exterior doors fit as tightly as they should, and are both doors and windows properly weather-stripped? The roof of your office or warehouse needs to be well-maintained, too, to protect your machinery, product, and staff furniture from water damage. The parking lot or driveway of your home or business needs to have a well-planned drainage system so that clients, employees, and family members can get to and from their vehicles safely. If people have to wade in from their cars, floors will suffer, and a slip-and-fall accident due to wet floors can be a disaster. Inspect the parking lots of your business regularly for potholes, especially after a storm. If you know you’ll see a lot of run-off from the parking area, consider using sandbags. Low-lying buildings next to a parking lot full of water can end up flooding, and you will want to plan ahead to prevent that from happening.
- DO REGULAR UPKEEP AND MAINTENANCE. Rain gutters and spouts need to be checked on a regular basis. If your rain gutters become clogged with debris such as dead leaves or small branches, they aren’t going to be able to drain away rain water. As water backs up, it can leak back into the walls of your building, sometimes without you knowing it, and you can find yourself with water damage, and even mold. These types of issues can be alleviated by regular maintenance.
- COMMUNICATE WITH PUBLIC SERVICES. Power lines and telephone poles near to your home place of business can be an issue when storm season comes if they are not in good condition. Contact your utilities companies and have them come take a look prior to wet weather to make sure you, your business, and your employees and loved ones will be safe. Be aware of the condition of any large trees on your property. If the grounds of your place of business become saturated, a tree with an unstable root base can fall and create problems for you, your employees, and your customers. Some trees and plants are the city’s responsibility, depending on where they are placed. Make sure you know who to call should the time come.
The team here at SERVPRO of West Riverside City is standing ready to help in any way we can! We have the expertise to handle water and fire damage, and specialize in mold remediation. If you have sustained water damage to your property, give us a call today at 951-351-8033, or visit on our website: SERVPRO of West Riverside City
SERVPRO - A Qualified Mold Remediation Company
Mold Growth in your Home
Mold is a microscopic organism called fungi that can grow anywhere there is a damp or wet environment, a food source (ranging from wood to tile and other organic based materials), and high humidity. If certain types of mold didn’t exist we wouldn’t have cheese or penicillin, but there are other types of mold that can create major health concerns. Some molds growing in your home also produce mycotoxins that can pose serious health risks to humans and animals. When people touch or breathe in these mold spores they can elicit nasal and sinus congestion, induce runny nose and eye irritation, and provoke respiratory problems such as chest tightness and sneezing fits. At SERVPRO West Riverside City we are committed to the protection of your property and the health of your family, so we have cutting-edge mold cleanup and restoration packages to suit your home repair needs.
The first step for eliminating mold is to investigate your home for any sources of major indoor moisture. Pay special attention to piping connected to the roof, plumbing leaks, backed-up sewers, and the space around the humidifier or air conditioning unit. If you are a tenant you want to alert your property manager of potential water damage areas that should be fixed immediately.
One way that you can safeguard your home against mold is to improve the ventilation in your residence. Not all heating or cooling systems circulate fresh air into your home, so in order to help keep your home well-ventilated you should consider using kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans, window or attic fans, or a window air conditioner with the vent control open. If weather permits it’s always helpful to keep the window open as well.
SERVPRO Does Mold Removal and Remediation
If you are suffering from unwanted mold in your home SERVPRO West Riverside City, a quality mold cleaning company, can help alleviate some of your stress. The goal of our dedicated technicians is to make sure you are comfortable in your home, and if we can’t, then we aim to make the process as quick and painless as possible.
Give us a call for a mold inspection. 951-351-8033
Fire Damage Restoration Tips in Riverside, CA
Contact us if you have any questions regarding a fire or smoke damage.
Fire Restoration Help
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT to Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call 951-351-8033
Emergency Water Damage on Your Hands?
Water Damage Experts Ready to Respond 24/7 365 Days a Year
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call 951-351-8033
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT to Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Mold Growth Problems Riverside, CA and surrounding areas
Mold can be very dangerous. Before you do anything to it have someone with mold experience come and take a look at it.
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of West Riverside City has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
What to Do:
Stay out of affected areas.
Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
Contact SERVPRO of Flagler County for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Call our office to speak with one of our claim specialists to schedule an appointment with one of our Estimators. From Estimation to Completion, our team is ready to take care of your water damage restoration needs.
If you have a mold problem, call us today 951-351-8033.
Trained Water Damage Restoration Technicians
At SERVPRO of West Riverside City we strive to be the best in the business. When a water disaster strikes your home, we will be there within the hour to help. Our skilled technicians will explain the process to you and promptly begin work. Our training program includes the following:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes
SERVPRO of West Riverside City offers both credit and noncredit courses for insurance agents, insurance adjusters, real estate professionals, and Franchise staff. These programs are designed to improve knowledge of emergency mitigation.
Call our office at 951-351-8033 to speak with one of our claim specialists to schedule an appointment with one of our Estimators. From Estimation to Completion, our team is ready to take care of your water damage restoration needs.
Fire Restoration, Riverside CA and surrounding areas
Often times after a fire people assume everything is a loss. When hiring professionals like SERVPRO of West Riverside City the process of restoration can save a lot of the presumed loss.
Professionals can clean smoke damage and restore items affected by a fire, but they must be brought to the site as soon as possible to halt the ongoing issues that ash residue can cause. The first thing that ash does to the home is discolor most surfaces. Anything that is made of plastic or was close to the fire will start discoloring within minutes, and within several hours, fiberglass and finishes on appliances will begin to yellow. Metals may also tarnish. After a few days’ pass, the ash will cause walls to discolor permanently, along with clothing and upholstery. Wood and vinyl will need to be refinished or replaced, and metal will start corroding.
The fire, smoke and soot are the expected result of the fire and most people do not think of the damage the water used to extinguish the fire can cause. It is equally important to extract the water and dry the structure properly. If not dried properly even more damage can result in the future.
Quick action to hire professionals such as SERVPRO of West Riverside City helps keep costs down as prevention of further damage is key. Without quick action metals may need to be replaced, carpet will permanently discolor and glass may be severely etched. It will also become apparent that the odors caused by the disaster may still be present and intense enough to not only be distracting, but in some cases harmful. Because ash is acidic, the longer it takes to hire experts, the more destruction it will cause.
This entire process is very detailed, and hiring a professional like SERVPRO of West Riverside City that can be trusted to do the job right is imperative.
Each disaster needs its own special attention to detail and that is why SERVPRO of West Riverside City has a team that will come and assess the damage and create a scope of work needed to take you through the entire process of remediation through reconstruction to make it “Like it never even happened”. You may visit http://www.SERVPROwestriversidecity.com/fire-smoke-damage-restoration to learn more.
SERVPRO of West Riverside City professionals stand ready to help you 24/7 365 days a year 951-351-8033
Prepare for the unexpected, Water Damage, Flood or Storm
Download the app and have SERVPRO help you prepare for the next emergency that might happen to your home or business
is usually discussed a few times a year, particularly at the beginning of storm season and then left to collect dust on the corner of a desk. Everyone knows it’s an important subject however it’s one of those items that keeps getting pushed to the proverbial tomorrow. Most people have a “plan” to get out however very few people have a true plan to get back in.
No one plans on a disaster, but you can plan to be “Ready for whatever happens” and SERVPRO of West Riverside City wants to help you. SERVPRO has a tool designed to not only help you before the storm but also prepare you to get back to business after the storm. The Emergency Ready Profile is a no cost assessment of your property containing pertinent information about utilities, account #’s, priority contacts including your insurance. The profile is compiled on an App compatible with your smart device, therefore this information is always at your fingertips.
If you’re tired of looking at the unfinished plan on the corner of your desk and want to quickly and effectively make a plan to reduce business interruption as well as protect your property and investments
Call SERVPRO of West Riverside City today 951-351-8033
Prevent Mold Growth in Bathrooms, Riverside, CA
Mold Growth Behind Bathroom Cabinets
Fighting mold in your bathroom? That’s because showers, sinks, bathtubs and toilets are each high producers of lingering moisture, creating the perfect environment for mold to grow in.
The good news is, there are preventative measures you can take to help combat mold growth in these areas, and stop it from spreading to the rest of your home:
- Make sure your bathroom is properly ventilated. Ventilation is key in regulating the amount of moisture in the air and keeps it from settling on surfaces where mold can grow. If you have a fan, make sure it is on or a window is open while you are showering so the steam can be directed away from the rest of the room.
- Once you finish taking a bath or shower, allow your bathroom fan to run for at least 30 minutes longer. This will give the air time to circulate.
- Mildew-resistant materials to the rescue! If you have a shower curtain or window curtains in your bathroom, make sure they are mildew resistant so mold can’t grow on them.
- Wipe down your shower often. Wiping down your shower after using it removes any lingering moisture that otherwise would have no place to go.
- Wash your shower curtain. Many people forget this one, but you should always wash your shower curtain at least once a month! Not only will it keep your bathroom looking fresh and clean, it will help remove any mold spores that could potentially grow and wreak havoc on the material.
- NEVER leave damp laundry on the floor. Or any laundry for that matter. When damp laundry is left on the floor, it creates the perfect breeding ground for mold spores. It also can ruin your clothes!
- Repair any water leaks. If any drains, faucets, or pipes are leaking water, it creates a constant source of moisture for mold to live on and grow from. Fix leaks immediately to reduce the chances of mold.
SERVPRO Helps You Prevent Mold Growth in Bathroom in Riverside, CA.
If you find mold, or suspect you may have mold in your home, give SERVPRO of West Riverside City a call and we will come inspect it for you. 951-351-8033
Sewage Backups Means Black Water Damage in Norco
This photo shows how we remove the affected flooring and drywall when dealing with a category 3 water emergency.
Sewage backups are a dirty business—literally. Thankfully, we at SERVPRO of West Riverside City know exactly how to handle it. When toilets backup or start to overflow, sometimes it’s just a little toilet water that needs to be removed, but sometimes it is infinitely worse. The category of the sewage water (Category 1, 2 or 3) will directly affect how we treat the situation. With Category 1, we clean, disinfect and remove anything too saturated. On the other hand, Category 3 requires us to remove anything the water touched. Category 3 means you, the homeowner, could be in danger if we do not remove everything.
A Norco homeowner recently experienced a Category 3 sewage backup. As with most sewage backups, it originated in the bathroom. It happened while the homeowner was not home, so when she returned it had already spread to other rooms. She knew she would need a professional to help her remove the damage, so she called her property manager who referred her to SERVPRO of West Riverside City.
As soon as the call came in, we sent our Project Manager to the home. His initial inspection found that the kitchen, bathroom and hallway were all affected. He also determined the water to be Category 3 sewage water, so he informed the homeowner anything the water touched would have to be removed for her safety. As soon as we had her approval (and the approval of her insurance), he called out our technicians.
Our technicians ended up removing the lower cabinets in the kitchen as well as the backsplash and counter tops. From there, they moved to the bathroom where they removed the vanity, tile floor and shower tile. And then finally they moved to the hallway where they removed all the hallway carpet, baseboards and a foot of drywall. Once everything was removed we worked to disinfect every area and then we set up air scrubbers and dehumidifiers to make sure everything was dry and sanitary for the homeowner.
She was so grateful for our work! She told us she could not have picked a better water damage company to come out to her home. Though her damage was extensive, she knew our ultimate priority was her safety and for that, she was grateful.
To read more about what categories of water exist, click here.
Call us today at 951-351-8033