When hoarding is a problem SERVPRO can help!
The way they started hoarding, the items they collect, the reasoning behind it, the conditions it is in.
What constitutes a hoarder versus a collector? What is the difference between someone that is thrifty and saves “things” for future use and someone that is a hoarder? Why are some people so attached to the things they find and store in their homes, while other are minimalists, and even the thought of abundant amounts of “stuff” around the house makes them nervous?
What Is Hoarding?
The easiest definition of hoarding is when the amount of acquired clutter prohibits functionality in the home. This means that functional areas such as kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms and dining rooms cannot be used for their intended purpose. There are 5 levels of hoarding, 1 being minor clutter and 5 being blocked rooms, pathways, animal/human waste, limited ingress and egress, etc. Remember level 5 hoarding cases do not happen overnight, so a level 2 or 3 can quickly become a level 5 if proper methods are not utilized to prevent it.
Because each situation is different we handle each on a case by case scenario. A hoarder home is one of the most difficult types of jobs to handle. Not only do we need to make sure that the contents are packed and boxed in order for us to do our job (handle the water damage/fire) but we also have to be mindful that these contents more than likely holds significant value to our customer.
How does one get into the situation where their home is completely full of contents and they are to the extreme buried alive?
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Hoarding is the persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions, regardless of their actual value. The behavior usually has deleterious effects—emotional, physical, social, financial, and even legal—for a hoarder and family members.
For those who hoard, the quantity of their collected items sets them apart from other people. Commonly hoarded items may be newspapers, magazines, paper and plastic bags, cardboard boxes, photographs, household supplies, food, and clothing.
Hoarding can be related to compulsive buying (such as never passing up a bargain), the compulsive acquisition of free items (such as collecting flyers), or the compulsive search for perfect or unique items (which may not appear to others as unique, such as an old container).
SYMPTOMS AND BEHAVIOR
Someone who hoards may exhibit the following:Inability to throw away possessionsSevere anxiety when attempting to discard itemsGreat difficulty categorizing or organizing possessionsIndecision about what to keep or where to put thingsDistress, such as feeling overwhelmed or embarrassed by possessionsSuspicion of other people touching itemsObsessive thoughts and actions: fear of running out of an item or of needing it in the future; checking the trash for accidentally discarded objectsFunctional impairments, including loss of living space, social isolation, family or marital discord, financial difficulties, health hazards
I know that embarrassment can keep people from seeking help but REGARDLESS OF THE REASONING WE ARE HERE TO HELP.
If you know of someone in this situation this website is a very informative website and can help :
SERVPRO of West Riverside city is trained in assisting you in getting your life/home back on track.
You need a company that specializes in cleaning services from packing to biohazard cleaning. SERVPRO of West River side City is first call you should make. Here are the top reasons why you should hire SERVPRO.
Ensure Safe Removal of Items
Hoarders typically collect excessive amount of items, including newspapers to trash. As these items pile up in a home. This can create a serious safety hazard, plus offer an environment for unwanted pests. It is best to hire a company with knowledge to remove the debris in a safe manner.
Avoid Contact with Hazardous Materials
Hoarder homes become a breeding ground not only for pests, but for possible unsafe pathogens. During a cleanup, proper protective equipment should be worn to protect the body. SERVPRO has the necessary tools to safely complete the job.
Perform Complete and Thorough Cleaning
SERVPRO has the knowledge and resources to restore the home to a nearly pristine condition. By doing so, the company will provide a safe living environment for all that reside in the home.
We are cognizant of the fact that there may be heirlooms and valuables beneath the surface of trash. Our professional approach to these jobs is why we are called back time after time and we are pleased to provide this service.
To prevent and respond to hoarding behavior, be sure to be respectful when communicating with the individual. Instead of acknowledging the clutter, focus on expressing safety concerns for not just themselves but for those around such as neighbors, family members, responders etc. The use of outside outlets to help with intervention can be beneficial and necessary.
Types of HoardersANIMAL HOARDINGBIBLIOMANIA (HOARDING OF BOOKS) / INFORMATION HOARDERSYLLOGOMANIA (HOARDING OF TRASH/GARBAGE)LARDER HOARDING (HOARDING OF FOOD)RECYCLERSCOLLECTORSSHOPAHOLICS
If you or someone you know has a hoarding situation, give us a call to see if we can help make it “Like it never even happened.”
How To Clean Your Riverside Home Fast!
Three of our green cleaning products Carpet & Upholstery Green Clean, All Surface Green Clean, Window Green Clean
So you have company coming in an hour and the house is a mess?
Or maybe you’ve just been putting off those chores and want to get it over with as quickly as possible. So, how do you clean your house fast?
When I was in college I worked a couple summers as a hotel maid and house cleaner. I picked up a few tricks and I’m telling you that yes, you can clean an ENTIRE average size house in an hour but it takes work-and focus! No getting distracted while gathering up those old magazines, or checking your phone for the latest on Facebook. If you keep moving and follow this guide you’ll have that house sparkling in no time!
HOW TO CLEAN HOUSE FAST!
Start at the Top
No matter what room you’re cleaning, clean from the top down so that dirt and dust from higher surfaces falls on lower surfaces that haven’t yet been cleaned. Dust ceiling fans, then furniture wiping dirt directly on the floor. Clean all of the floors as your last step to remove the dirt and dust.
Bedrooms-6 minutes per bedroom
- Strip linens and remake beds. When making beds rather than hunch over tucking bottom sheets under the mattress use one hand to lift the corner while tucking the sheet with the other.
- Clear all clutter, if you’re in a hurry gather clutter in a spare basket or bin for later organization and tuck out of sight in a closet.
- Wipe down furniture with a dusting spray and microfiber cloth, working top to bottom.
Bathrooms-7 minutes per bathroom
- I like to clean all of my bathrooms at once-make a quick trip around all the bathrooms in the house to clear counters and spray counters and tubs with cleaner, allow to sit while you clean toilets and wipe down the outer toilet surface.
- Go back and wipe down counters and rinse tub then clean mirrors.
- Come back to clean the floors when cleaning the kitchen floor.
Living/Dining Rooms-7 minutes
- Clear all clutter.
- Starting in one corner of the room and working around dust all surfaces top to bottom. (If you have blinds and/or ceiling fans, dust those first.)
- Use an upholstery attachment and vacuum upholstered furniture.
- Vacuum floors along with all house carpeting as last cleaning step.
- Load all dirty dishes in the dishwasher and fill sink with hot soapy water. If your stove top has removable burner pieces that need to be cleaned, place in water as well.
- Clear counters.
- Dunk sponge in hot water and squeeze out excess, wipe down cabinets, counters and other surfaces again working top to bottom. Rinse sponge in hot water as you clean-you’ll be amazed how much dirt comes off!
- Wipe down appliances.
- Finish cleaning any stove pieces and replace.
- Clean floors last along with all hard flooring surfaces in the house.
Floors-15 minutes whole house
- When vacuuming carpeted rooms work your way backwards out of the room moving quickly and without too much overlap to save time.
- Vacuum, don’t sweep hard floors-use an attachment to get corners where dust and pet hair can accumulate. This helps prevent kicking dust into the air that will quickly settle again and aggravating allergies.
- Steam mops or Hardwood Floor Cleaners also make cleaning hard surfaces much faster than traditional mops, so I highly recommend investing in one of those to keep your cleaning quick!
As a SERVPRO Franchise, we have access to SERVPRO Industries, Inc. resources and technology. Part of this includes the large range of cleaning products SERVPRO has developed. Over the years SERVPRO Industries has strived to develop green chemicals that are safe for your home and family as well as the environment. We have been members of the EPA’s Design for Environment (EPA/DFE) initiative for a longtime. This allows us access to resources that help in formulating environmentally friendly cleaning products, known as “Green” chemistry. Our most notable green cleaning products are highlighted below.
Carpet & Upholstery Green Clean #251: This product is designed for cleaning both carpet and upholstery. It is truly a “one product does all” in that it can be used as a spotter, pre-spray and in-line cleaner for use with a variety of equipment.
All Surface Green Clean #250: This is an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional surface cleaners. The product is designed as a one product cleans all for surfaces that can be wiped or mopped. It can safely be used on walls, ceilings, countertops, floors, etc. The exclusive formulation contains both ionic and non-ionic surfactants that are naturally derived and provide excellent multi-functional cleaning.
Window Green Clean #249: This cleaner is an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional glass cleaners. The product is formulated with soft water to eliminate spotting and streaking.
You should be able to handle most of the cleaning around your house, but for any of those tough stains - give us a call! We can help! SERVPRO of West Riverside City has the industry experience and expertise to provide a deeper clean than your basic home cleaning service.
We're here to make things easier for you.
Need cleaning services?
Give us a call today! - (951)351-8033
Spring Cleaning Tips
Spring is here, its time to get cleaning!
If spring is in the air, don't let a musty house spoil it. Here are seven tips for giving the season the welcome it deserves.
- The best refrigerator cleaner is a combination of salt and soda water. The bubbling action of the soda water combines with the abrasive texture of the salt to make a great cleaner.
- The best way to get rid of lime buildup around the faucet it is to lay paper towels over the fixture, soak it with vinegar and let it set for an hour. The deposits will soften and become easier to remove.
- Clean screens with a scrap of carpeting. It makes a powerful brush that removes all the dirt.
- Clean windows with a rag and soapy water, and then dry them with another rag. You can also go to an auto-parts store and buy a windshield squeegee, which cleans very well.
- If drapes are looking drab, take them out of the window, remove the hooks and run them through the air-fluff cycle in the dryer along with a wet towel (to draw off the dust) for 15 minutes. Hang them back in the windows immediately.
- Clean the blades of a ceiling fan by covering them with a coat of furniture polish. Wipe off the excess and lightly buff.
- Sometimes comforters, blankets and pillows don't need to be cleaned, but they do need to be aired out after a long winter in your closed-up home. Take them outside and hang them on a clothesline for a day.
If your house needs more detailed cleaning than you can handle, please don't hesitate to call us for an inspection!
Happy Spring Cleaning everyone!
SERVPRO makes sure your HVAC system runs smoothly during the Winter season!
If you experience the need for air duct cleaning, call SERVPRO!
The nights are getting colder and that means it’s time to switch on the heat.
Even in Southern California we do get some chilly nights during our winter and that's when you need your HVAC system ready and working efficiently to heat up those cool nights.
Here are 6 maintenance tips from SERVPRO that will help you enjoy a warm and cozy home all winter long.
- Clean and/or Replace the Air Filter
- Clean the Air Vents
- Add Some Insulation
- Check Your Thermostat
- Cover the Outdoor AC Unit if needed
- Schedule an Inspection from SERVPRO
SERVPRO is here to assist you. Through cleaning and repair, the experienced, professional, and friendly technicians at SERVPRO West Riverside will make sure your heating system is ready for the winter season. 951-351-8033